Monday, January 29, 2007

Country Stars

Country Stars
William Meredith
page 115

I like the very calm and serene feel of this poem. One thing that helps this is the structure of the poem in terms of line breaks. All of the line breaks occur at the ends of phrases so the read is very smooth. Another factor that helps the poem's smoothness is the use of a lot of soft sounds such as "f" and "s", sometimes in repetition. I also really like some of the imagery such as "She blows on a black windowpane until it's white." I think this is a really creative way to describe fogging up a window with breath. Another thing I really like is the repetition of similar sounds in the same line such as "Two cities, a chemical plant, and clotted cars" and "distrust of darkness." It all really helps to make the poem a smooth read. I also enjoyed it because it's not very hard to understand and the poet's message is not buried.

No comments: