Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Seeing for a Moment
by Denise Levertov
Vintage Book 180-181

I thought I was growing wings--
it was a cocoon.

I thought, now is the time to step
into the fire--
it was deep water.

Eschatology is a word I learned
as a child: the study of Last Things;

facing my mirror--no longer young,
the news--always of death,
the dogs--rising from sleep and clamoring
and howling, howling,

nevertheless
I see for a moment
that's not it: it is
the First Things.

Word after word
floats through the glass.
Towards me.

What really intrigued me about this poem were the first two stanzas. They are, most likely coincidentally, separated by the rest of the poem by a break in the pages, but their form is similar and unlike the stanzas in the remainder of the poem. The first two stanzas evoke in me an idea of expecting more than reality. The speaker seems to be facing obstacles or changes, but soon realizes that the changes were not as expected as his or her "wings" were really just the beginning stages of a "cocoon" and the "fire" ahead of him or her was a less intimidating pool of "deep water." I get a feeling of a sense of realization and confusion as the speaker seems to discuss his or her deeper look within his or herself, recalling something learned as a child and now coming to the conclusion that it now has an alternate meaning. The "Last Things" the speaker once knew are now the "First Things." The tone is somewhat somber and depressing as the speaker is facing his or her reflection and speaks of only death and the loud clamoring and howling of dogs that seem to ping in our ears and make the reader cringe. The tone then shifts suddenly in the fifth stanza. The speaker seems to be suddenly seeing the "First Things," the new and beautiful aspects of life rather than what is gone and unfinished. Part of this poems main appeal for me is that it can be seen from many different perspectives, mean different things, and give the reader different emotions towards it altogether. This poem continues to puzzle me, but that makes it even more interesting.

No comments: