Monday, January 15, 2007

I Have Found What You Are Like

Poem: I Have Found What You are Like, written by e e cummings

This poem provides many nouns, such as "rain", "feathers", "fields", and my personal favorite "superior dust". This poem paints many pictures in my mind. For example, I see a field where it is raining, and the combinations of colors of the flowers are now washed together with the rain. I see this in "green thrilling light" and also "newfragile yellows". The images are predominately of nature and colors. The physical structure of the poem makes it seem as if it is windblown. The lines are separated, and do not conform to one side of the page. This connects to the words of a raining field which the poem is describing. I really e e cumming's ability to portray his message both with the content of the poem and also the physicality of the lines. In my own poetry, I have succeeded in effectively using punctuation to emphasize or add depth to my message, however I have not been successful in using the line position on the page to make it more dramatic. Also, the narrator of the poem is very nervous, especially when he is speaking to the person he would like to kiss. His thoughts, therefore, are likely to be very scattered and difficult to organize, much like the organization of the poem.

No comments: