Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Mad Girl's Love Song

Mad Girl's Love Song
by Sylvia Plath

The diction used in this poem creates a very surreal image for me. Words such as "stars," "moon-struck," and "dreamed" all help to create this surreal image for me. Furthermore, the idea of God toppling, stars waltzing, and blackness galloping all help to further a surreal sense. I feel like I am put into a childhood fantasy, a dream of some sort. It is quite weird for me to see certain lines within the poem put into parentheses. It gives me a sense of from this dream-like state, the speaker is adding in a sense of reality and is therefore putting in parentheses because it interupts the dream-like state.
The other aspect of this poem that caught my attention was the rhyme and rhythm contained within it. It flowed with ease, in a way, furthering the sense of a dreamy state. It was really easy to read through the first time and the rhyming invovled throughout the poem seems so suttle so as not to ruin the scheme of the poem with the rhymes. However, what strikes me is the fact, as someone else who read this poem, that the entire poem is in quotations, signifying a direct speaking of some sort. It is as though the speaker is telling the poem first hand, instead of writing it in a form of rememberance. For me personally, the quotations add a sense of "in the moment" in that the speaker is stating what happened exactly in that moment instead of taking the time to analyze and focus their thoughts on what had occurred.

No comments: